Thursday, March 6, 2008

DOES THE PUNISHMENT FIT THE CRIME?

I went home to get my costume. Believe it or not, there is actually a cape to it, too. I don’t wear it. It’s much too formal, and for lack of a better word – old. Wearing a cape is just not as cool as it used to be. Most of the up and coming heroes don’t have capes. Only the more established veterans still wear them. When you think about it, even then they still look dated.

It’s definitely a “no” on wearing a cape. It’s just not me. The more I stand here in the mirror with it on, the more I want to burn it – or use it to wash my car. The most depressing thing about this moment was that I was going to miss my appointment with Crystal. I kept hearing the voice of Candice’s friend in my head. Does his hair always look like that?

At least I no longer felt embarrassed. I don’t see her ass out there saving the city. The only thing she saved that night was the ice melting in her drink. I’ve never seen a woman drink alcohol so fast. But, you can’t judge a person by their friends. Candice remained sexy and classy. Her smile lights up a room.

Unfortunately, I had no time to get lost in my thoughts. I grabbed my backpack and walked through my apartment collecting my U-30 devices. If I was getting kicked out today, I wasn’t coming home to look at any of this stuff. It was bad enough that I really didn’t understand why Dispatch suddenly had it in for me. In my opinion, all of this is just over the top. The punishments aren’t fitting the crimes.

Just as I was leaving the apartment, unnoticed of course, I remembered to fly by the office. There was no need in holding on to the totems any more. I had no idea what was going on with them, and no way of really finding out. The way I see it, if something comes after my friends, I will handle it the only way I know how. And if that means beating down every bad guy I come across until all is well, then so be it.

Naturally, this late in the day, the office is empty. I hadn’t told anyone, but I had Dispatch to replace the window in my office with one that opens. There is also no sensor to trigger the alarm. This of course comes in handy for moments like this. I’d look like a fool being caught on a security camera. Sonus has no business riding the elevator to Leroy’s office.

The only thing left were the totems. I almost felt a weight lift from my body as I tossed them into the backpack with the intentions of never seeing them again. Before leaving, I went over to the kitchen a few doors down from my office. Probably not a good idea, but I really wanted a juice box from the refrigerator. Nothing calms the nerves like an apple juice-juice box.

I hurried back to my office and out of the window. Focused too much on my juice box, I dropped my backpack. Instead of flying, I allowed myself to just drop – hoping to catch it. I didn’t catch it. I was 2 seconds too late. But someone else did.

“Is this a present for me.” The air around us got colder as he spoke.

I saw my breath as I spoke. “Bitter, what are you doing here?” How do these guys know all my personal business and where I work?

“Just a friendly reminder, Sonus.” He smirked.

“I don’t remember anything friendly about you, at all – Bitter. In fact, you had your cousin and her associates try to beat me down a few weeks ago.” There is no need to say that I was ready for a fight.

Bitter handed me the backpack. “It was never about you Sonus. It was about what you possessed. But even that need has shifted.”

I wondered if he was talking about the totems.

“Be careful of the ones you follow, Sonus. They can lead you in the wrong direction.” Bitter walked away.

My juice box was now empty. I should have grabbed three. Bitter walked away as if he didn’t have a care in the world. I flew toward HQ, replaying the conversation in my head. When I arrived, Derrick, Tina, Leah and Marc were at the entrance to greet me. Tina, Leah and Marc even wore their old costumes for support.

As we entered, and walked toward the main hall, I was greeted by everyone in the Urban 30. Raz and Tam came over to apologize for being shady earlier when we set out to rescue Ean. Ean even walked with me to talk as if nothing had ever happened.

In the main hall, the U-30 split into two groups on either side of me. Terra was there with some older guy. She looked worried – probably not a good sign. I didn’t see Brice, but I don’t even know why I looked for him. Leah, Tina and Marc stood behind me. They are no longer U-30, so as support, they stand behind me as I make my case. Surprisingly, I did see the little guy from the coffee shop – where Candice works. I never pegged him for the super hero type.

Dispatch stood ten feet, directly in front of me. I guess it was time to get things started.

No comments: