Wednesday, May 14, 2008

THIS WEEKEND SUCKS!

The weekend didn’t quite go as expected. I was looking to hang with the fellas on Friday, but everyone came up with other plans. Such is life, sometimes things don’t go the way you want them to go. I was more so concerned with the fact that I was desperately looking to grab some food and drinks and by 10:00pm, I was in the kitchen crafting up the most gourmet version of ramen noodles that I could think of. A bowl of noodles never looked so good.

By Saturday, I was in the swing of the weekend. I dropped by the mall for a pair of shoes and then over to the DQ for a Snickers Blizzard. I was pretty much on cloud 9 anticipating my evening with Candice. I meant to call her yesterday to confirm, but there was so much back and forth with my other plans that I’d forgotten. By the time I remembered, it was rather late. I certainly didn’t want to offend her by calling too late.

On the way home, I grabbed my cell phone and searched for her number. Now that we have all these cell phone laws, I was so glad to have the hands free built into my system. The radio automatically muted and I could hear the phone ringing. This was sure to be a great evening. The anticipation of Candice and I hitting it off already sparked me to come up with reasons why I can’t see Michelle anymore.

My mother doesn’t think you are a good fit for me?

That thing with your nose when you sleep gives me nightmares.

My therapist says you are too controlling and that I should learn to tell you no!

Your voice gives me rickets!

I just can’t deal with the fact that you are a cop; what if something happens to you. I could

never live with that sort of danger.

And my personal favorite…

My doctor says that my split personalities cause me to do things. I’m sorry that I hurt you,
but I don’t remember you.

But Marc says that last one is just too mean.

When Candice finally answered the phone, she seemed a bit surprised to hear from me.

“Hey… um, Leroy. What’s going on?”

“Just chillin’, drivin’! What’s up wit you?” I wondered if she could tell I was smiling.

“Nothin’, driving to Richmond for my baby sister’s college graduation in the morning…”

I paused for a second. How were we supposed to go on a date, if Candice was in route to Richmond, VA?

There was silence on the phone for a few seconds, until I said… “I just wanted to touch base with you, see about going out…”

“Oh that’s right, we were supposed to go out tonight. I’m so sorry Leroy; I completely forgot.” She didn’t sound sorry…

“No problem. We can definitely reschedule.” I tried my best to sound relaxed and unaffected.

“Thanks, Leroy. You’re so nice. I’m going to call you back though. We are still driving and my sister is giving me the side eye. Bye.” She hung up before I could return the salutation.

Today sucks.

No comments: