Monday, January 7, 2008

FEELING A LITTLE "OUT THERE"?

Rufus, the company CEO, never showed up last week. I can call him Rufus now, because he sent a video message to all of us by e-mail that as of that moment, we would all be on a first name basis. Does this mean we are friends? This guy is on cloud 9 or something. Rufus also mentioned that we will be going through some structural changes in the next few weeks – just standard business, no one should be alarmed. I’m not buying it!

Imagine my surprise, however, when I was sitting at my desk this morning checking e-mail instead of doing work, and Rufus pops into my cubicle. I fell out of my seat.

“Mr. Black, how are you!” I stumbled to my feet to shake his hand.

“Please, call me Rufus…” He kept grinning.

“How are you, sir… Rufus.” I tried to act cool.

“I just want to tell you to keep up the good work. You don’t have anything to worry about. We'll be keeping you.” He winked. I suddenly felt real queasy. “Also, you want to make sure your mail comes to the right place. Not too much personal business at work…” He smiled more as he handed me a small wooden statute. The same type of totem as Terra and Brice, but this one of a guy I don’t know. Though there was a familiarity about him, I knew I had never seen him before. “I hope you don’t mind, I opened the package. I thought it was something from one of my mistresses. Nicely wrapped, too…” He laughed a cocky laugh and walked by to shake more hands.

It’s Monday. Rufus just did a surprise visit and I should be scared witless that I wasn’t prepared. Even more, I should be concerned about this new figurine and who it was made of. But instead, I’m stuck staring into the cubicle wall wondering who knew to send that through the company. Someone knows my identity.

No comments: