Tuesday, February 5, 2008

AIN'T THIS SOME SHIT!

Life has a funny way of making a bad situation worse. When I first joined the Urban 30, Derrick was my partner. Dispatch paired us so that Derrick could show me the ropes – at least see if I could hold my own as a super hero. In the process, Derrick and I became very good friends. Shortly after I joined, Derrick quit. Aside from the fact he changed his name every six months, each one sillier than the last, Derrick mainly quick because his girlfriend at the time – Emma – had decided he spent too much time saving the city and not enough time pampering her.

While we had our own thoughts on Emma, we were more disappointed that Derrick had quit the team. Tina would always tease him that his women ran his life. Though Derrick was fighting day to day, we all still hung out. A month after quitting, Emma dumped Derrick. Marc had just about talked Derrick into rejoining the Urban 30 when he met Victoria. She didn’t approve at all. Of course my question was, since when do you just meet someone and tell them you are a superhero?

So here we are years later. Even though Derrick swears he felt it was best to leave the Urban 30, I was considering challenging that. Since I had a point to prove with Dispatch, I thought it would be a good idea to start doing things on my own. Since James wouldn’t be available, Derrick was my next candidate. Actually, he and Marc were on my list. I figure the three of us could get some attention on our own.

I’d call both of them up to meet for lunch, but Marc is in litigation, so it’s just me and Derrick. The more I thought about it, the more I thought it was a good idea. I was certain that Derrick would jump at the chance – once it’s actually presented to him.

We met next door at the Asian place. They have really good food, I’m so glad they opened it. Derrick immediately began ranting about Tracie. She had apparently broken up with him, for the third time. Though I haven’t been out with Michelle in week or two, she still called after work – sometimes after midnight, she’d been working a lot lately. Even if for five minutes, Michelle needs at least say hello, she was thinking about me… and then drop the latest scoop on her sister and Derrick. I never have to ask.

We finished lunch and I jumped right to the topic that was on my mind. “I think it’s time you got back in uniform. Be a super hero once again. Don’t let any of your women hold you back. I think deep down, it’s what you really want.”

“I agree.” But Derrick looked more worried than excited. I ignored his expression.

“Great, so we’ll talk to Marc and the three of us will be a team.” It felt good to say it. Not to mention that I really was looking forward to doing the superhero thing with two of my best friends.

“Um…” Derrick looked away, searching for the words. “There is one small problem.” Derrick put on his coat and grabbed his cell phone from the table. “Dispatch offered me the open spot in the Urban 30.

Ain't this some shit! I could feel my nostrils flare. Derrick knew my temper and was prepared to cut lunch short so that I didn’t have time to let it sink in.

“I have been thinking a lot.” Derrick was doing his best damage control. “I’ve been wanting this for a while. It’s what I need.”

“That was my spot…” I clenched my fists. It’s not that I would have hit Derrick – but I was really mad.

“Let’s talk about it later. I can tell you’re really upset.” Derrick dropped down enough for the food and a generous tip. “Bye.” Damn super speed.

No comments: