Wednesday, November 12, 2008

LET ME THINK ABOUT IT...

It had been going on two days now, and no return call from Tony. Both Jada and I tried to reach him. Sometimes his voicemail would come on and other times the call would be forwarded to Christopher. But I refuse to believe that Tony would be foolish enough to expect us to really work with a known villain.

Jada had even put on her costume. We flew around the city until my arms were tired of carrying her and then stopped for ice cream. No call from Tony. Though Jada was steaming, the ice cream made me feel better. She went home.

I was just about to call it a night, too, when I felt a sudden drop in temperature. My breath stood still in front of me as I questioned just how insulated this suit was. In the bitter cold appeared an old friend.

“I want to help you.” He said.

“Why would you want to do that?” I questioned.

“I have my own interest at heart.” He smiled.

“Hmm. You’ve changed. You have a heart.” I also smiled. He’d never been known for his kindness. I lifted myself from the ground – a slight hover before actually flying off.

“I know that your team isn’t quite at one hundred percent. So I offer myself and a few friends to balance things out - help set things right." I folded my arms as he spoke. "But don’t wait too long… As time fades, so may your powers.” He stepped backward. “You know where to find me...” He walked away.

The worst part of that exchange was that somewhere in it, I decided that I trusted him more than I trusted Tony.

Maybe I spoke too soon about working with villains. I’ll sleep on it.

No comments: